Mount Trashmore, Numbers, Still fighting it

Yesterday I had to go down to Everglades City, one of the areas most devastated by Hurricane Irma, to do an assessment for what was needed to get a temporary office open while the city hall building is repaired from water damage.  I had not been to this location in quite awhile.  The drive in was quite the visual with debris piles lining the roadways.  The craziest pile of all was “Mount Trashmore” as named by the locals, a huge pile of debris in the middle of town.  Evidently trucks are slowly coming in to remove the junk as they can. There were also multiple pallets of bottled water and MRE’s which have been sitting out in the elements for weeks which evidently are left overs from the initial assistance effort.

The government building had a few inches of water on the floor from the surge but that was enough to do major damage.  All of the floors were ripped up revealing a sub floor that was just a mess.  In addition the first four feet of plaster/drywall on the entire first floor was cut out so the walls could be dried out properly.  The interior of the building was filled with an army of drying fans pointed in every direction.  They are estimating the building will take six months to be repaired.

Ironically we went through the exact same scenario with Hurricane Wilma when extensive damage required the building to close for roughly the same amount of time.  As I toured the building with our employee that works there she showed me a mark on the wall as we ascended a staircase.  She said that was the level the storm surge reached after Hurricane Donna.  When I looked down and saw we were a good 15 feet above the floor below I gained yet another new appreciation for the destructive potential of hurricanes.

Yesterday I received some more hurricane related numbers.  This time the number was roughly $4500, the estimate to rescreen the entire pool cage and fix the minor door/frame damage.  The number, much like the roof estimate was more than I expected but not surprising considering the circumstances.  So now I at least have one estimate for the roof and pool cage repairs. Now I am awaiting one more very important set of numbers, what my home owners insurance is going to offer me.

It has now been exactly two weeks since the adjuster visited.  I called yesterday to find out how long it would be until I hear back with a settlement offer.  The woman on the phone said they allow up to 14 business days so if I don’t hear anything by next Monday it’s time to start rattling some chains.  I certainly hope the number they give me is fair and reasonable.  If it is a ridiculous lowball then I have to dig in for a fight which only retards the timeline even further.

Speaking of fights, that was what I was doing last night with my CR-10 3D printer.  I am still struggling with a filament feeding issue which I am not able to figure out as of yet.  I have a number of parts ready to throw at the problem but I was awaiting one more thing to arrive so I could do all the work at once. I might just install the stuff I have now instead of waiting.  I get an unsettled feeling when my 3D printers are just sitting there, wasting print time.

I did manage to print the object I was trying to print on the CR-10 on my FlashForge Finder, albeit a smaller version of it.  The project, an ornate cross was something my EUC and 3D printing buddy Mathias, who lives in Norway, designed for me and it was kind of amazing.  The design was based on a physical cross that Cindy has that broke after a fall.  I had made a few attempts to recreate the cross as a 3D image using an overhead photo but struck out.  Mathias has a lot more experience than I do so I asked him about it.

Like I said the cross had some broken sections so the picture was not complete.  Even with that issue he was able to reverse the other side of the cross which was intact in the picture to create a very accurate replica.  Cindy was thrilled with the small black version I made and is looking forward to doing a full scale version on the CR-10 in different materials once I get it working 100%.  The amount of things you can create/do/fix with 3D printing are truly infinite.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *